Skip to content
Electrician working on the electrical installation of a house

When is it time to call an electrician?

We’ve all had little instances here and there, like flickering lights and tripped breakers, that we don’t really pay any mind to because it’s just a part of home life. And usually, that’s the case. But sometimes these can be signs of a much larger problem that you should call electrician for. These are the 7 instances that you should call an electrician for:

Consistently flickering lights

This means there is probably a significant wiring issue or that the wattage exceeds the capabilities of the outlet, both of which could potentially mean a fire hazard.

Rust or corrosion

Rust means one thing – water exposure. Rust or corrosion invading something like your breaker box is an immediate hazard and needs immediate attention by a professional.

Breakers that trip repeatedly

It’s one thing for breakers to trip – a common problem is something as simple as a hair dryer and a microwave or vacuum running at the same time. But if it happens repeatedly, it’s most likely a wiring problem and needs to be addressed by an electrician.


Outlets around areas that are prone to water exposure are supposed to have a Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI’s), that help protect against electrocution in the event of water coming into contact with the outlet. If you find that these are not present, professional interference is recommended.

Wiring that dates back over 20 years

Between the year 2000 and 2020, what is one of the main things that has changed significantly? Electricity consumption. If you think about the increasing commonality of electricity-devouring devices, it’s no question that your electrical system would need an upgrade to compensate for technology’s demands if it’s over 20 years old.

Too many extension cords

Extension cords may seem like a convenient idea for spaces that don’t have a lot of outlets, but if used for daily use items, then they can become a fire hazard. So if you find yourself using an extension cord more than occasionally, it’s a good idea to just go ahead and get an electrician to install new outlets.

Shock value

If you get a light shock when you touch an outlet, this means they are “warm”. A warm outlet is a signal of electrical overload or faulty wiring, and that they should be checked by a professional.

If you’re having any of these issues, or have questions regarding any of them, don’t hesitate to call us at 605-721-1193!



We're looking for journeyman and apprentice electricians!